Cerebrovascular disease refers to a group of conditions related to the blood supply to the brain & includes stroke, transient ischemic attach (TIA )- or mini stroke & Amaurosis Fugax (temporary loss of vision). Restrictions in blood flow may occur from stenosis (vessel narrowing), thrombosis (clot formation) or ischemia (lack of blood flow).
The symptoms of cerebrovascular disease vary depending on the condition you may have, however stroke is the most common presentation. Warning signs of cerebrovascular disease may include some or all of the following;
- Dizziness, nausea or vomiting
- Loss of vision or difficulty seeing
- Abnormal/slurred speech
- Difficulty with comprehension
- Unusually severe headaches
- Confusion, disorientation or memory loss
- Loss of balance, coordination or the ability to walk.
Dr Velu has extensive training and experience in treating cerebrovascular disease. Should any of these symptoms occur, medical treatment should be sought immediately.